Jackie Link's Blog

- A blog for no good reason

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

I had a grandmother

When my father was five and his brother three their pregnant mother succumbed to the flu.

My father remembered being kept from her and then watching as her body was carted away by horsecart from the isolated log cabin where she died. I picture it a very dark and wooded place.

She had auburn hair and, as you can see, freckles. Her husband, my grandfather, owned the creamery in - I guess the village where they lived - Cottontown, Tennessee.

For many years I only had this formal portrait of my grandmother and father, taken when he was an infant, and then, just this week, the son of my father's brother, my only Link cousin, Alan, sent me this photo. I had never seen it before.

And for the first time I really missed knowing this grandmother.

I don't even know her name.


Am I imagining it or can you see in his eyes that my father would lead a very troubled life?

(Click to enlarge photos)

2 comments:

velogirl said...

you totally look like her in the 1st photo.

chatterbox said...

Isn't it amazing to think we are closely linked to these people who we never knew? We have their pictures floating around in our families. We look at them with a curious fascination, wishing we could just sit and have a cup of tea and see what they were all about. A picture is worth a thousand words. But, sometimes a thousand words would be more satisfying.

Thanks for sharing your grandma pics.