Jackie Link's Blog

- A blog for no good reason

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Italy, too hot

I'm south of Venice in a seaside resort town, Chioggia/Sottomarina, where it is still very hot, though it cools off at night. We have zig-zagged our way around northwestern Italy, staying in the Po Valley, working the smaller cities like Verona, Padua, Cremona, Ferrara and Bologna.

It's been interesting to travel with someone who is actually working. I don't have to make decisions about where to go, what to see. I don't have to go into tourist attractions or museums - and my feet don't hurt, my back doesn't hurt - next to riding a bike, this is the way to do it as far as I'm concerned. Venice? Florence? Rome? No, not this trip. Those photos have been DONE, the tourists and heat would make it impossibly difficult for zero payoff, photo-wise, and I'm so glad not to have to try.

The cities have been darker than I expected - umbers and burnt siennas predominate. Bologna, with its colonnades, was the most city-like so far, but everywhere we've been the people are kind to each other. Very nice feeling. Last night, Milan won a major football game and the local yahoos were honking their horns until after midnight, so we sat on our balcony watching the moon and stars, waiting for them to finish celebrating.

A few days ago we spent a day in Ferrara, where our hotel gave us the use of bicycles. It was wonderful! Not having the hassle of our own bikes has been good, but, Oh, how we miss riding. There's nothing so fine as the breeze one creates while pedaling slowly along on a hot day, especially where there are no hills to climb.

But, I left my white blouse on the white sheets in Ferrara and didn't discover it missing until two days later in Bologna - we called Ferrara, Yes, they found it - and DB said, no problem, he wanted to go back to the seaside out of the heat and we would pick it up on the way - and we did.

Every few hours there is a new plan about where we will head next. Yesterday afternoon we were going to go into the Alps and today,s plan, we will go south to the boot of Italy, the Apulia. Today is a rest day, which is why I'm babbling on the computer. As I write, there are two men standing on my counter attempting to tape up some wires. Every once in a while one steps on me, but only a little bit and, so far, no damage done.

The "electricians" want to move me so will quit babbling for now...

2 comments:

lauren said...

it sounds so magical. i'm glad you're having such a good time.

makes me want to go now...

Jill said...

Yeah! Anout time we got a new entry! Sounds wonderful...