Jackie Link's Blog

- A blog for no good reason

Monday, July 02, 2007

Winning strategies

(Click to enlarge - back arrow to return)

#1. Buy groceries when you're starving-hungry, I now have tons of food. And I now have to cook like crazy and have plenty of left-overs so I can keep pushing pixels.

#2. I'm not sure yet if I've made it past this latest household crisis, but I haven't had a new mite bite since Saturday. If it's true that tropical rat mites can't complete their life cycle without their roof rat host, then they will die out without my intervention. It's so inconvenient to poison one's home. Maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part, but it is a holiday week and dealing with exterminators would be challenging.

So, I'm researching how to handle the inevitable return of the rodents (if they never left they'd keep their friggin' mites to themselves!):

"Live rodent trapping: Live traps can be used to catch rats and mice. Once caught, the rodent can either be killed or released. Relatively humane ways of disposing of a live rodent are by drowning or freezing: To drown, confine the rodent inside a heavy-duty paper bag, then submerge the bag in a bucket of water held down with a heavy object such as a brick. To freeze, place the bag inside a larger plastic garbage bag, seal it and place it in the freezer for a couple of hours. The rodent will lose consciousness before it freezes. IPM practitioners do not recommended the release of rodents in fields or vacant lots since they find their way back again." S.F. Dept. of Public Health advise.

I thought you'd like to file that little tidbit away for future reference.

#3. Learning a gazillion things all at once, new computer, new prog
rams, etc., etc., means I run into one conundrum after another and, so far, instead of letting each one drive me nuts, I drop it and play with something else. Like right now, instead of wondering how to make a control or tool work in Photoshop, I'll just go do my ironing (from the four loads of wash I did, secondary to the mite infestation).

(I only iron once or twice a year, but actually like it. I like to sweep floors, ir
on and do dishes. The rest of the house stuff you can keep.)

#4. Get out of the pest-ridden house, ride my bike, go to a movie, visit with friends.

Again, it's all good.

BTW, there are lots of new photos on both my, and DB's Web sites (links, upper left), including a few portraits. DB has put up the one of me riding a bicycle in Italy on his home page, and I've put up one showing him in his office in Paris (and not just
my usual of his back as he's taking photographs!).


No comments: