Jackie Link's Blog

- A blog for no good reason

Sunday, August 05, 2007

Foggy day in the city


This must be what it's like to live on the west side of this city. Gloomy all day. I rode a zig-zag through downtown, into Chinatown and North Beach, to Coit Tower, down to North Point, over Ft. Mason and along Crissy Field to the bridge. Lots of wind. No sun. I cut across the ridge of the Presidio from the bridge, ending up in GG Park, where the band was warming up for a concert in the renovated bandshell. (Note: go back to collect ripening blackberries soon.)

I was hungry by then and decided to ride over to my favorite taqueria in the Mission, and so I climbed another steep hill to 17th Street, just for the thrill of the fast downhill, expecting to be rewarded with a super vegetarian taco - and El Toro Taqueria was boarded up after a fire! I was so disappointed that I just rode on home, never having stopped for anything all day. Carried my camera in its slingpack and didn't use it at all.

Sibyl and I have had our shower, shared lunch, and the sun still isn't out on this side of town. 100% gloomy. (Better this than the valley's heat. I'm not complaining.)

Photo: Poster of 1920 Alberobello, Italy, with sneaky self-portrait, not discovered until today. Very Hitchcockian. Twice in a week; I see a trend developing. (Click to enlarge.)
And this photo of trulli from the boot of Italy, Apulia, reminds me of Taos, New Mexico. Now I need to find those old scanned prints, see if they're salvageable. This, too, happens a lot while I work on images. I seem to work in circles: throw a pebble in the pond and watch the ripples sort of thing.

No comments: