Jackie Link's Blog

- A blog for no good reason

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Long shadows


I've never been this far north at this time of year and I am constantly confused by the long, long shadows.  At home it would be nearly sunset with the sun so low in the sky, here it's not yet noon.  The light is white, not the golden I'm used to.  Cold.

This morning I took off on my own, riding the Moulton, afraid to lock it and risk losing it, so I pretty much just kept riding for an hour or so.  I headed toward the Seine on Bd de Vaugirard, hung a right on Bd Montparnasse, for old-time's sake, a left on Bd St Michel, and once across the river, stopped to watch ice skaters in front of the Hotel de Ville, on artificial ice, much like our Embarcadero Center's outdoor rink.  I think it was much colder today, but in general, it's not much different than home, a mild winter here, so far.

I didn't take my camera out until I stopped in the Jardin des Tuileries, where I took the only photos for today - all done near noon.  See the long shadows?

My hands got very cold out of my gloves.  I stopped again at the Musee d'Orsay and watched a young woman draw the outdoor rhinoceros sculpture, without gloves, not whining.  I was impressed.

The rest of my ride back to Convention and Rue Blomet was uneventful, and then I had a peanut butter sandwich for lunch.  (Great peanut butter.)  Once I warmed back up I got to work learning more technical stuff, and tonight, while we worked on images, we watched "Panic Room," dubbed in French, of course, but it was every bit as exciting as when I saw it in the states.  

No comments: