Jackie Link's Blog

- A blog for no good reason

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Hercules and more Delta

Train in the Sacramento River Delta
My hibernating box turtle, Hercules, didn't come stomping out to protest my messin' with his yard so I guess it's still too early (or he died underground). I'll wait a bit more before poking around for him. There isn't much fauna: one worm, one earwig, just a few baby snails, and he probably knows to wait for better pickin's.

I'll be sore tomorrow, weeding is not my favorite thing.

I feel bad about Locke. I always felt bad about Locke. It isn't like, say, Bodie, where the state made a point of preserving what was probably no better when it was new, but it seems like Locke has been left to die. Nothing was well-built to begin with, but one lit match and that place is gone. Maybe just a big wind and it's gone. Granted, it's still "off season," but as you can see (do enlarge the pix), it's in very bad shape. Way past fixer-upper. There's refuse and garbage everywhere, which I'm not showing. It's a mess.

Al the Wops was the only place open for business and a few workmen came for lunch.

Locke is not colorful. It's just sad.

No comments: