Jackie Link's Blog

- A blog for no good reason

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Wind & rain & working

I've been glued to my computer most of the week while the Amgen Tour of California has played itself out, especially the day they went from Seaside to San Luis Obispo - roads I know so well. It's been a tough race, with more hard weather than usual for these parts. Mostly, I just listen and only really watch near the end - which is always exciting to see the tactics play out. I'm learning.

But it's not been time wasted. I've been practicing difficult techniques with my mouse. This image was done with two negatives, which meant separating the details from the dark sky. My hand needs rehab after more than an hour of working it. Like anything, practice makes perfect and I have a long way to go. Here's the original image for comparison.

And this is why I love a digital darkroom - there's no way I could have pulled that off with an enlarger, dodging & burning to separate the Metro station from the sky. It really is a lot of fun (and work).

1 comment:

chatterbox said...

Yes, it's lots of work. But, it makes what was nearly impossible in the old days accessible to mere mortals.

It's really great what you were able to do with that photo. Kudos to you!