Jackie Link's Blog

- A blog for no good reason

Friday, March 21, 2008

He was lost

and now he's found.

Hercules!

Hercules was seen for several days in February, and then he disappeared again. I put out blueberries and sometimes they would be gone, but after not seeing him bask in the sun or soak in his little pond, I decided he must have gone looking for a mate, and that birds must have been taking the berries.

I made "Missing Box Turtle" fliers to put around the neighborhood. I even went to the animal shelter this morning and posted a flier there before getting more made at Office Depot. I was on my way to staple them to telephone poles and stick them in mailboxes when I decided to search the outer, big yard some more.

I realized there is no way he could have gotten out of that yard. (A big raccoon might have been able to carry him off, but seemed unlikely.) So I stopped what I was doing and started weeding his little yard some more.

And I was brutal, pulling out those plants along the wall. Finally, when I got to the back wall, there he was. I do think he'd reburied himself after his brief appearance in February, but I can't be sure.

I brought him in to weigh and to soak in the sink. I think he drank, but he snubbed his food, and then made a circuit of his yard before hiding himself again.

I found some snails for him in the neighbor's plants; his yard had none.

I'm probably the only person you know who searches for snails to bring IN to their yard. I don't even know if he eats them.

1 comment:

lauren said...

wow! that's pretty cool that you found him after a month.

i remember, we had a turtle that ran away when we were kids. but we never found him.

we had a snake that did the same thing.

after that, my mom said we had to stick to rabbits as pets.