Jackie Link's Blog

- A blog for no good reason

Friday, July 04, 2008

Annotated City


If you wanted to know where Sam Spade hung out in The Maltese Falcon, this map would come in handy.

Everywhere I go these days I run into new signs, telling me really interesting historical things about my city. I always immediately forget the details and probably get it all wrong. There's a bathroom I used to use along the way to Fort Point that I now know used to be where they kept the dynamite and stuff and made mines to guard the Gate during WWII. My mom told me Japanese submarines came inside the bay, but I don't think that was true. She also said they had a net across the bay; that seems unlikely, too.

I had planned to go out before sunset on a bike, wander around watching the festivities, but the fog is moving back in and it no longer appeals. Cold.

No comments: