Jackie Link's Blog

- A blog for no good reason

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Shoe Garden


After seeing the show at the Presidio Officers' Club, "145 Years of Red Cross Photography," a serious downer, Jane and I thought about trying to go to a movie since that side of the city was fogged in and not appealing for a stroll on the beach, but decided to go back to her place and just visit.

I found a good parking spot on Fulton near Divisadero and we walked over to the neighborhood annual flea market on the sidewalks around Alamo Square. It's always fun to see what people are hoping to sell from their accumulated junk, but easy to resist. (There was one antique windup mechanical bicylist for $20, which tempted me but I successfully walked away.)

When we got to the top of the hill we walked through the park and Jane showed me a secret shoe garden. She said the city gardener had been collecting things people left behind in the park and used the shoes as planters. She especially liked Dorothy's red sequined shoes, but someone either took them or they fell apart. The one in this photo almost says Oz, but not exactly.

Good day.

3 comments:

DD said...

Now I'll have to send you some of my Alamo Square shoe pix! Aren't they a wonderful surprise??? I'm so glad you knew who was responsible!

lauren said...

oh my! that's so cool. i'd love to go see that.

Groover said...

That's such a great idea. Love it. I might finally dispose of some shoes I don't wear anymore but never brought myself to through away...