Jackie Link's Blog

- A blog for no good reason

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Turtles! on Nob Hill


I rode to the top of Nob Hill today to check out a restaurant for my friends who want to meet there before seeing Toni Morrison at the Masonic next Friday. That's a pretty high hill, so I came at it in a roundabout way.

I went all around the waterfront, turning up through the Marina to Cow Hollow, where I saw that the Octagon House on Gough was actually open. There was a man standing in the doorway, inviting me in. I said I didn't want to lock up my bike, and he said he would watch it. I made a quick in & out visit. Nice. Colonial and federalist interior, which fit right in with my recent art history class. I'll have to go back one day with a bike I don't mind locking up outside. (It occurred to me when I got inside that I had no idea who that man was, maybe he was a thief! Nah.)

From there I headed up to Nob Hill via Sacramento and then the steeper Jones. The sun was shining, everyone was sitting on benches soaking it up. I've always loved this fountain in Huntington Park. The turtles are so wonderful.

I took some pictures and then headed down, down, down to Union Square, a real test of brakes. I checked out the new ice skating rink and the crew putting up the giant evergreen tree before turning for home, a shower and lunch.

No comments: