Jackie Link's Blog

- A blog for no good reason

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

No escargot for Hercules

Last year at this time my neighbor Barbara brought me 45+ snails of all sizes for Hercules, my box turtle. This year she could only find two large and one tiny snail. I could find none in the yards around my cottage. This is very, very disconcerting.

Why no snails this year?

I'll have to feed him chicken.

He came out of hibernation sometime in the last two weeks. I saw him twice sunning himself this week. There was mud in his water dish where he'd soaked. I ran out and bought him blueberries at Trader Joe's ($2.99 vs $6.99 at Rainbow Grocery).

My mood takes a huge swing up when I see Hercules in the spring. I'm so relieved he made it through another winter, buried in the ground somewhere in his little yard.

3 comments:

velogirl said...

I wish I had known. I've been cleaning the garden/patio and literally had hundreds of snails.

chatterbox said...

I was going to say the same thing. All the snails are in our front yard eating our new annuals.

Groover said...

That's great news that H. is awake and that you are happy. What a cute little turtle garden he's got!