Jackie Link's Blog

- A blog for no good reason

Monday, April 06, 2009

Miles & miles


Last Friday I met Theresa at the Ferry Building and we rode back to Larkspur, where we ate lunch. I planned to take the ferry home, saving my legs for Saturday's 67-mile Cinderella Classic, but as I was pedaling into Larkspur Landing I could see the ferry pulling out, the next one not for another hour and a half, too long to just sit there. I rode back home, a 48-mile round trip.

Saturday I got up at 05:00, Diane picked me up and we were off and pedaling by 07:40. At the first rest stop I learned my friend and riding buddy, Sarah, had taken a bad fall and was on her way to the ER with a head injury. The next twenty miles were very hard. I wasn't sure I would make the whole ride and was just pushing grimly through it. And then at the last rest stop I was able to talk to Sarah and know she was OK. The last twenty-plus miles just flew by. What a huge difference attitude makes! I was pleasantly tired when I got home, a bit wind and sun burned, but otherwise fine.

Sunday was my regular Velo Girls' First Sunday ride and I had to wonder if I'd have any zip left in the legs, but there were two experienced and three inexperienced riders and I could ride at a reasonable pace for the 42-mile Strawberry/Tiburon loop from the Presidio. One rider lost her chain on that ugly steep bit getting out of the bridge parking lot and fell on her elbow hard enough to turn back. Another took the ferry back from Tiburon, but the rest of us had a great - and most unusual - tailwind the whole way back. If it hadn't been for so many tourists, the bridge ride back would have been outrageously beautiful. Well, I don't begrudge the tourists; I can share.

So. That's 157 miles in three riding days. Reminds me of touring, but without the heavy load. And today I feel better than I've felt since last summer, really great. I guess I'd better keep it up, lots of riding seems to suit me.

No comments: