Jackie Link's Blog

- A blog for no good reason

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Compost ready

For some time now I've been wrapping wet garbage for the compost bin in old newspaper, tying it with sisal cord---sometimes with a knot, sometimes a bow---and today I was down to the front page from Inauguration Day. I hesitated using it for awhile. And then I did the deed, but as you can see, I made sure the Obamas remained face up, away from the corn cob and coffee grounds. But I sort of feel bad about it, so I took this picture and will write about it a bit. Really, I meant no disrespect.

Growing up, my mother had a collection of "important" events. She saved newspapers and Life magazines. They'd be under the couch, or in the bottom of a drawer. She didn't do much to preserve them, to keep them from turning yellow, or from being dog-eared and worn, but they were fun to run into and read again.

I had the same sad feeling when I threw out all those old WWII papers. Maybe I shouldn't have. Life just gets so cluttered with this stuff, doesn't it?

3 comments:

kitp said...

My Dad had the first issue of Life at the bottom of a large stack, as well as nearly a room full of other information. I thought some might have some worth so I delivered the whole lot along with many books to a branch of his fraternity.

I guess now that everything is online, it is no longer necessary so save stuff, but I do, at least for a few months until I run out of room.

Love your photographs. Kit

page132 said...

Mom,
I took those from grandma & have them in a box in my closet.

Jackie said...

What fun! Can't wait to dig into that box and see what's there.