Jackie Link's Blog

- A blog for no good reason

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

A ride to the Headlands

Whenever I ride on the weekday side, the east sidewalk of the bridge, I try to stop and say hello to The Lone Sailor. It was very foggy this morning but that didn't keep the tourists away. The pedestrians were thick on the ground.

When we got to the top of the Headlands we stopped to put on jackets for the dramatic downhill run. I asked Judy why she was stooped like that, she said so she wouldn't zip her sunglasses into her jacket. Oh.

We went into Sausalito and had lunch, or maybe it was a late, late breakfast, at the Lighthouse cafe on Bridgeway. I had a mixed-fruit pancake. We separated after braving even more pedestrians on the east sidewalk of the bridge. Man, they are all over the place, each with their own spontaneous route, no two the same. Reminder to self: save the bridge rides for weekends when tourists on bikes on the opposite, west sidewalk are slightly less numerous, though equally "spontaneous."

We went our separate ways after the bridge, and I rode through Pier 39, stopping for the Tiburon ferry schedule for future reference (and to avoid another scene like today on the bridge). I watched the tourists for a bit. I like watching happy people. Well, I'm sure some were happy. The de Young Museum has put up this 15-20 ft. tall promotion for the King Tut exhibit, right there at the pier.

Near as I could tell, the only thing this guy does is put on all this shiny silver stuff so people will pay to take their picture with him. It must take hours to put on. I don't think he sings or dances or does anything except be there. Probably makes a good living.

No comments: