Jackie Link's Blog

- A blog for no good reason

Saturday, August 29, 2009

A mural, a ride (and a movie)

A week ago today, I came across this stunning WPA mural in the San Geronimo Valley Community Center, where I'd gone with Beverly for a gathering of Bill Witherup's family and friends to remember him with readings and stories.

The mural was commissioned for the Lagunitas school, the original occupant of the building, and was painted in 1934, by Maurice Del Mue. It is 7 x 15 feet, but seems much larger. It feels almost life size and is down low enough for children to see without craning their necks; a very warm, intimate mural. I couldn't get it out of my mind.

Yesterday, Theresa and I rode from Woodacre to Pt. Reyes Station and on a chance the Center would be open, we detoured hoping to see it. The Center was locked, but a man opened the door for us and we stood looking at the mural for a too brief time. It's been recently restored, and, even unlit, it glows.

As we rode on to the coast it was getting warmer. By the time we'd had our late morning, Bovine Bakery almond croissant it was downright hot. And as we turned back inland it was getting even hotter.

I suddenly remembered NOT locking my car, and my small camera was in it! I told Theresa to stop often (no point in our both getting heat stroke) but I needed to get to my car fast. And I rode as hard and as fast as I could, never stopping.

Sweat and sunscreen dripped into my eyes. I was nearly blind and out of water by the time I got to my car. It was indeed unlocked, but intact. I threw my bike inside and drove back to get Theresa; and a car with a bike on top honked coming at me. When I could, I made a U-turn, and, as I thought, Theresa had been picked up on the other side of the hill. She'd been close to heat stroke, had goose bumps, not sweating. Nick of time rescue.

So. If it hadn't been hotter 'n hell, it would have been a great ride. In the twenty or so years we've been riding together we've had more than a few misadventures and stories to tell - but they've all ended well.

And I'd like to see that mural again and again.

P.S. To avoid today's repeat heat I went to an air-conditioned movie: Quentin Tarantino's "Inglourious Basterds." Whew! Incredible. It was terrific.

The fog bank is due back tonight. I can already feel it on its way.

No comments: