Jackie Link's Blog

- A blog for no good reason

Thursday, September 03, 2009

One tough egg, one fast mouse


That's yesterday's egg. On Sunday, the first egg for this cycle was very thin and so I not only started adding calcium, but I doubled the amount I sprinkle on her wet food. Three days later she quietly dropped another egg into her basket (it is usually dropped from a high perch and it usually breaks). It was cold when I found it and solid. Perhaps too solid. I can see the excess calcium on its surface. Finding the right amount to supplement will be my next task.

I caught the field mouse in the act today, eating my box turtle Hercules' left-overs. I did see Herc eating earlier, so he got his share first.

The mouse looked up at me with his great big ears and then, lickity-split, off he went.

Hercules has to be quick to get his food before this guy gets wind of it.

Critters!

I packed my panniers to ride down the coast next week. 4.5 lbs. each. Not bad.

1 comment:

chatterbox said...

Have a great trip! I'm getting my panniers packed to ride the Olympic peninsula in Washington with the parents. Mine will be a bit heavier, I'm afraid (I gotta have all the stuff they will forget)!