Jackie Link's Blog

- A blog for no good reason

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Riding the waterfront

There was no sign of the sun today, but in spite of the gloomy sky I took off riding around the waterfront after lunch. The crowds were thicker, there were many more hazards from passengers opening their car doors into the bike path and jumping out into traffic, but I knew it was Fleet Week and enjoyed the sight of people having a good time.

I was passing the Hyde Street Pier when some fighter jets started their show and I assumed they were the Blue Angels. I thought perhaps I'd become jaded, they were rather slow, too tame.

And then VA-ROOM! the real deal, the Blue Angels exploded overhead! They hit the right note to put goose flesh on your arms and tingles up your spine. Whooeee.

The first year they hit this town I went to see them with my mother. We were standing on the Marina Green when they flew straight at us, we could see into the jets and into the cockpit, they were that much right in front of us. That was also the year they buzzed the tall buildings in the financial district, causing serious panic.

They've been a lot tamer ever since.

I try to forget what they're designed to do. How much they cost. Etc.

The real show, though, was a flock of pelicans diving into Aquatic Park for their supper. Neither the noise nor the crowds deterred them in the least. My little camera couldn't catch the action. (This was taken in Santa Cruz.)

Right after this tight formation of Blue Angels went past, a flock of six pelicans flew by us in the same tight formation---right in front of this crowd on the end of a Ft. Mason pier, barely over our heads. Everyone applauded them.

Love the Angels, love the pelicans.

No comments: