Jackie Link's Blog

- A blog for no good reason

Monday, November 09, 2009

Sunday's ride

The sun was shining and I needed to pedal my brains out after all that technical reading, and so I took off around the city clockwise, heading for Twin Peaks. Instead of going up Bosworth I took Chenery, which parallels it, but when it dead-ended at Glen Canyon Park, in order to get up to the main route to O'Shaughessy, I was faced with the steepest short pitch of road I think I've ever attempted. Luckily, I was riding the touring Bike Friday with really low gears, but it was so steep that falling over backwards was a real possibility and I threw my weight over the front wheel to prevent it. Scary. And I did it without breathing hard (it was no more than 300 ft.). After that, climbing Twin Peaks, Land's End, etc., was a piece of cake. But because I'm getting so old, I didn't sleep well last night, and my recovery takes more time. That's just the way it is now.

I took time to visit the Music Concourse in the park, where I saw this lonesome balloon vendor. I was surprised that the trees still had their leaves. I'll be going back to the de Young Museum for a class field trip on Friday and will see if they have begun to change in this week's cooler weather, though I don't think it's been cold enough yet.

Anyway, I didn't ride today, but I will tomorrow.

No comments: