Jackie Link's Blog

- A blog for no good reason

Monday, December 14, 2009

to the Ferry Building and back

Sometimes there are more pictures than words to go with them.

As long as the Cirque du Soleil is in town I will not run out of images along my bike route.

I like this ghostly white-winged bicycle on top of the shuttered Bike Hut on The Embarcadeero.

While I was taking these pictures the sun went behind dark clouds, the light went flat and I was getting hungry, three miles into the ride from my house, and so I locked up and went into the Ferry Building to see what I would see. I walked up the long corridor and came upon this display at the Far West Fungi booth. Magic (chocolate) Mushrooms!

One of my oldest friends, Beverly Dahlen, sent me a link last week about ancient traditions from Nordic shamans, about the red and white mushrooms (Amanita muscaria) which grow under pine trees in the winter, and how so many of our holiday-solstice practices have evolved from those times. Here's a link to a long article about it: Santa Claus the Magic Mushroom.

I bought a sandwich at Acme Bakery and took it outside on the dock. As I was eating and looking in the outdoor cart at Book Passage my old friend's name leaped out at me; it was a volume of her poetry that I didn't own. Of course, I brought it home.


No comments: