Jackie Link's Blog

- A blog for no good reason

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Things I saw today

As I rode along the Embarcadero the fog still covered the bay, hiding the bridge from view. I was on my way to Jackson Square to have Les cut my hair, but I was early so I stopped in Portsmouth Square.

I hadn't seen this small bronze replica of the Goddess of Democracy before today. In 1989, I was riding my bike down the California coast and camping in the mountains behind Santa Barbara during the Tienanmen Square protest, but stayed aware of it, and somehow saw the pictures coming out of China, including this Goddess, originally made by art students with foam and papier-mache over a metal armature.

Gung hei! Fat choi! Les has put out the Year of the Tiger.

I didn't know I'd done a self portrait until I processed these. And without my glasses on I also didn't know I was shooting at 1/8 sec., and am surprised they didn't have a lot of motion. It makes me so mad that I can't see the small print on my camera back!

That is the sweetest face ever.

The sculptors of Ugly have struck again. This new giant is in the park on Octavia and Linden. She appears to be balancing a stone on her forehead. I wonder if it was meant to be there or if someone managed to throw it up the 30-40 ft. The last time this sort of thing appeared, it was on the waterfront - see my 2006 post, "Really ugly, HUGE sculptures."

I also rode my bike from the bay to the ocean, straight across the width of the city, more or less. I wanted to see if the tulips were coming up at the windmill. They aren't budding, but there is promise of things to come. There were lots of cars in the park with people out enjoying the warm spring day. I ate my sandwich and then rode back to USF for my afternoon class. And then, on my way to the symphony box office to exchange tickets, I came across the ugly sculpture, which definitely wrapped up the day of seeing both weird and wonderful things.

No comments: