Jackie Link's Blog

- A blog for no good reason

Thursday, June 03, 2010

Who needs sleep, anyway?

It's now 02:30, and I've only had four hours of sleep in the last 30 hours. Been up since midnight here, 09:00 there. Tossed and turned and finally gave up on sleep for today.

Jill took this with her iPhone as I was leaving for Amsterdam three weeks ago and posted it on Facebook, and then she realized we shouldn't advertise my absence. All is as I left it so the bad guys didn't find out and empty my house. Pretty poor pickin's here, anyway.

Quick note about the trip: We had an unexpected eight straight sunny, warm days of cycling in North Holland, Overijssel and the Gelderland! Rarely saw the sun in Amsterdam or Belgium, but it only actually rained on us in Bruge one morning, and then was gorgeous the rest of that day. No flat tires or other mishaps of any kind, though perhaps too much wonderful and irresistible food, and our cyclist-friendly B&B stays were all uniquely amazing. I meant to make many notes each day to write in more detail, but it quickly got away from me in the hustle-bustle and map reading and planning where to go next, etc. I don't know how Footloose Fietser did it!

I haven't downloaded all my raw photo files from the Epson yet. I reformatted a full 2GB card by mistake and will need to find some recovery software for the Mac. They were all the photos from Gent and Bruge. At least this time I realized it before putting the card back in the camera and overwriting the files, which I once did in France, losing my best of Normandy.

The Fred turtles aren't acting well and I have to go find feeder goldfish to excite them. I hate doing that. Hope Hercules has been finding wild food in his yard while I was gone, snails and slugs and such. I'll go get Sibyl from birdie camp in the evening.

It's 02:36, and I'm still wide awake. Getting hungry; it's lunchtime in Holland. Guess I'll go finish off the mac & cheese I made from a box last night, in my nearly food free house. Oh yeah, groceries and laundry and all that stuff to put away. But the bike can just sit in its big suitcase until next week! Lots more bikes in this house to use.

And I expect a few trip photos and stories might show up here over the next weeks.

It's going on 04:15 and I've had my mac & cheese and now getting sleepy again, but have to get back to classes today and do all the house chores. Oh well. I can always sleep tomorrow.

No comments: