Jackie Link's Blog

- A blog for no good reason

Sunday, August 08, 2010

What I did today

I'd set the alarm too early and was up at 07:00. I got a message from Ron wanting to postpone today's ride because of our crummy weather, so I went back to bed. I was determined to get out, no matter the gloom, and rode off on my town bike by noon, wearing my high-top sneakers and layers of warm clothes, heading into the Mission along always colorful 24th Street. I kept riding along Valencia, only detouring to the Rainbow Grocery for sunflower seeds for Sibyl (they were out), and then rode via The Wiggle to Golden Gate Park, around the Conservatory of Flowers and north along Arguello, wondering if I had it in me to go up that last steep block into The Presidio (I did).

No sign of sun, anywhere.

I whizzed down hill and stopped at the Officers' Club to see the annual watercolor exhibit. Good stuff. Afterwards, I went into the visitor center shop, and for the very first time noticed the murals all around the room. How could I not have seen them the half-dozen times I've been there?

By then I was hungry and wandered through the Pacific Islanders' event in the old parade grounds without trying to get food (lines too long), thinking I'd go on to In 'n Out Burger in Fishermens Wharf (lines waaaay too long), and kept riding through the Financial District, and SOMA, and finally settled for french fries and a milk shake from the McDonald's near the ballpark. And they were good.

I took my bag of guilty pleasures to a bench near the Mission Bay library along Mission Creek (no sun there, either, but I could see it off to the east), ate, and then got a book and two CDs before heading back up my hill home.

Not the best ride, but I liked it.

No comments: