Jackie Link's Blog

- A blog for no good reason

Saturday, October 09, 2010

Street Art vs Tags

I took this picture of Greta Shred's mural in Clarion Alley in late 2006. When I went back last week I found it much changed by taggers.

What I can't figure out is why some murals have been seriously defaced and others left totally intact for years and years. The subject matter doesn't seem to make a lot of difference.

In an ongoing effort to find the names of the mural artists, I've been researching on the Web. Under Clarion Alley images, there are about 22k to plow through, looking for someone who dependably knows the attribution for a given mural. I also bought the just released book, "Street Art San Francisco, Mission Muralismo," but it has limited use for finding names, since it covers a wider area.

And that makes me wonder why I'm doing this, since it's so already done . . . maybe because the murals are often beautiful, tell stories - and that they fascinate me?

For instance, when I found Greta's name, but not a title for the mural above, I also discovered she was the publisher of a 'zine called mudflap, and that her street address was 666, hence the devil on her handlebars. If you click to enlarge the top image, you'll see all the neighborhood influences, including early Spanish, Irish, Italian, as well as the recent Latin. (But, ice hockey?)

No comments: