Jackie Link's Blog

- A blog for no good reason

Friday, November 26, 2010

Knuckle hills

Today Kaethe and I drove to Pt. Reyes with the excuse of going to the local artists' Open Studios, where I learned from Marty Knapp's photographs that what I've always called Knuckle Hills is named Black Mountain - and I wonder why. Not exactly black.

We drove up and up and up, and up some more on a skinny road to see Richard Blair's studio and it was worth doing.  He has an 8 x 10 view camera, big enough by itself, but it's on an industrial-sized rolling tripod, practically a crane.  He also has the largest printer in private hands that I've ever seen.

This photo was taken from Tom Killion's back yard.  He makes meticulous colored woodcut prints of bay area views, much in the traditional Japanese style.   I love his craftsmanship, if not his palette.

Good day.  Drove home on Hwy 1 and decided I like it better by bike; it's too scary in a car.

No comments: