Jackie Link's Blog

- A blog for no good reason

Thursday, August 09, 2012

I say America's America Cup

I will give up saying America's America Cup because it's silly to be right, if I am, but have no one, including me, care.

From Wikipedia:  The trophy was originally awarded in 1851 by the Royal Yacht Squadron for a race around the Isle of Wight, which was won by the schooner America.  

Back when I sailed I was told by my captain that it should be called The America Cup.  Maybe he was wrong?  Besides, it really has kept its home in America, all but the years it spent Down Under.

At any rate, now it's America's America Cup.  One wonders for how long and, if we lose it, will they go back to calling it by its rightful name?  Not likely.  At any rate, I'm really excited to watch the races right from my hilltop, or near enough.

(I heard back from the captain that he's always referred to it as America's Cup.  He probably told me at the time that it was named after the yacht, America, and I made up the rest.)

No comments: