Jackie Link's Blog

- A blog for no good reason

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Riding the waterfront

I wore my long-sleeved wool jersey over a long-sleeved base layer to ride to the Marina Green to watch the America's Cup sailing practice this afternoon; it was the right outfit for the cold wind coming off the fog bank, but it was just sunny enough to skip the windbreaker.

 The World Series has taken over the Marina Green and parts of the Embarcadero, but nothing one couldn't get around by bike, or on foot if you like a long, long walk.

I went all the way out on the mole, out past the St. Francis and Golden Gate Yacht Clubs, where the racers come very close to shore, passing right outside the Wave Organ.

The burned Pier 29 facade is covered completely with  trompe l'oeil (sort of) while they reconstruct it.  Looks better than it did last week when I rode by.

And then, after passing the fire boat, I stopped at Pier 30-32, near Red's Java House, where they haul the 45' catamarans out of the water for the night.

I only rode about 16 miles all together, and stopped often to watch the goings on, but it beat staying indoors all day, that's for sure.

No comments: